What You Need
1 bunch kale
1 bunch other collard greens
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup cubed ham
3 slices bacon
2 1/2 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
What To Do
1. Tear greens into large pieces, discarding veins, and add greens to boiling, salted water.
2. Boil greens for 6 minutes, then drain and rinse.
3. While greens are boiling, add onion and garlic to preheated olive oil in skillet and saute until onions are lightly browned. Then add jalapeno; cook 2 minutes more.
4. Add onions to crockpot, then add greens and remaining ingredients.
5. Cover; cook on high for 4 hours or until greens are tender.
Note: Substitute mustard greens or turnip greens for the collards at your preference. Also, adjust the jalapeno heat to your liking by either keeping the seeds (more heat) or discarding them (less heat).
Return to Crockpot Side Dishes index
Slow Cooked Broccoli Recipe
Sweet and Sour Cabbage Recipe
Crockpot Baked Beans Recipes
Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
Low Fat Crockpot Recipes