Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
This Chicken and Sausage Gumbo recipe makes 6-8 servings.
What You Need
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into half-inch slices
1 pound boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 cups frozen cut okra
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup frozen medium shrimp, cleaned and cooked
1 1/2 cups uncooked regular long-grain white rice
3 cups chicken broth
What To Do
1. In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, about 8 to 12 minutes or until mixture turns a light red-brown.
2. Place flour and oil mixture into 3.5- to 4-quart crockpot.
3. Stir in all remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice and broth. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
4. Add cooked shrimp to the gumbo; mix well. Cover and continue to cook on low for 20 minutes longer.
5. After adding shrimp, cook rice in chicken broth according to package directions. Serve gumbo over hot cooked rice.
Return to Crockpot Chicken Recipes index
Crockpot Soup Recipes
Crockpot Stew Recipes
Crockpot Chili Recipes
Crockpot Baked Beans Recipes
Crockpot Sweet Potatoes Recipes