What You Need
2 pounds beef chuck cut into 1.5-inch chunks
5 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 (14.5-oz.) can low-sodium beef broth
4 large carrots, peeled, sliced thinly on diagonal
1 (10-oz.) package mushrooms, halved (or quartered if you buy large variety)
2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
1 cup red wine
1 (14.5-oz.) bag frozen pearl onions, thawed
What To Do
1. Place beef, 2 tablespoons flour plus salt and pepper to taste in resealable plastic bag and shake to coat evenly.
2. Melt butter and oil in skillet; add beef for about five minutes, until browned.
3. Transfer browned beef into slow cooker.
4. Sticking with the skillet, add one cup of broth and stir in skillet for about a minute, to deglaze the pan. Then pour into crockpot.
5. Add vegetables, red wine and remaining beef broth to slow cooker, and finish with pearl onions placed on top.
6. Cover; cook on high heat for five hours or low heat for 6.5 hours.
7. Remove beef and vegetables from cooker (leaving liquid).
8. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons flour with 3 tablespoons water.
9. Pour liquid from crockpot into a saucepan, then whisk in the flour/water mixture. Cook until thickened (about three minutes boiling time), then stir into beef/vegetables.
Return to Crockpot Meals index
Crockpot Beef Burgundy
Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
Crockpot Beef Tips
Sweet and Sour Beef